You probably already know the benefits of utilizing a managed service provider (MSP) to manage your IT infrastructure. But that’s only half the story – your IT department still has to devote time and resources to monitoring and maintaining the business applications that run on it. Combining the management of your IT system AND the enterprise software that runs on it with a single managed service provider can make your entire IT system more effective and efficient and reducing downtime – saving you time and money.
Typically, MSPs do not monitor and service enterprise business applications, they just handle the network infrastructure the apps run on. However, that’s the same as a railroad making sure the tracks are clear and the switches work, but ignoring the passenger and freight trains that run on them. Mission-critical enterprise applications – like the IT infrastructure they run on – also require monitoring, tuning and issue resolution. An MSP that supports both the hardware AND software platforms is called a “multi-faceted MSP.”
In addition to the infrastructure-only tasks a traditional MSP would manage, a multi-faceted MSP performs a broader range of tasks that can include:
- Performing triage over the entire hardware and software ecosystem to diagnose and fix problems when they occur
- Managing application message queues to quickly identify and resolve issues
- Managing network and application security
- Monitoring enterprise apps and supporting installs, updates, and patches (PTFs)
- Coordinating new operating system release upgrades with application version upgrades
- Working directly with software vendors to report issues, achieve resolutions and proactively plan for future upgrades
Working with a multi-faceted MSP that manages your entire IT environment – hardware and software – offers a number of benefits:
- Frees up in-house IT employees to focus on more lucrative and/or vital IT activities while extending and augmenting their capabilities with as-needed external resources
- Helps you better manage overhead expenses by utilizing outsourced, highly-skilled IBM i platform specialists
- Reduce application issue resolution and downtime by employing outsourced, highly-skilled business application specialists
- Provides “one throat to choke, one back to pat” responsibility and accountability for your entire IT ecosystem, eliminating multiple, hardware vs. software vendor finger-pointing
Perhaps the most important role a multi-faceted MSP can play is as a strategic IT partner for your organization. The right MSP can offer comprehensive industry insight, experience and expertise to assist with setting and achieving both short-and long-term IT goals and initiatives.
Want to learn more about the benefits of working with a multi-faceted MSP? Download our white paper, How Managed Service Providers Can Help Your Business Be More Successful.